Waynetopia - Start of a new world

Sunday, March 05, 2006

StarCite

The Background
Quite of you have been asking me what my company deals with and honestly it's quite a mouthly for me to string into one sentence. My internship company, StarCite, is a Philadelphia home-grown company that acts as the channel between corporate event planners and suppliers (airlines, hotels, golf clubs, etc.), allowing them have visibility over their budget and spending.

Confused? So was I, the first time I heard it. Let's say I am from a multinational company in US and I will like to hold a conference in Japan. Now, sourcing for a hotel / conference hall in a country halfway across the world isn't really that easy a task. Besides negotiating prices, you will still need to work around limitations (such as no rooms during proposed date, but rooms are available a week later), special requests (golf course for Sunday) and when all is done, you realise all you've got are quotations from just one hotel. And all the time you spent calling, negotiating, agreeing to bad deals all translates to unquantifiable money lost.

Via the StarCite website, you can post up a detailed decription of your meeting 9 in just a matter of minutes) and choose to send it to say all the hotels in Japan or all Hilton hotel chains automatically. Instantly, you can ask for quotations to a few hundred hotels in the blink of the eye and let them do the work instead of you. Every hotel returns with a quotation and the one that gives the best deal wins. Pretty much like ebay bidding for hotel space. Simple?

The story so far...
On Monday, my boss CH called us (Eric & I) into his office. All the while I have heard from seniors on how great a boss he is. He called us because he was really concerned if we were learning enough during this internship period. He wanted to see if there were anything else we wanted to do. He had actually mailed all 6 managers under him telling them that we would be approaching them for assignments and we actually get to choose the assignment where we can learn the most. All 6 managers hold very different portfolios so diversity in learning is assured. My admiration for this man grows....

Passing the Holy Grail
When you work for department that revolves around technology, the "untouchable items" would be the code and components that makes up the code. After the session with CH, I am officially "in", working hand-in-hand with the developers and programmers. My remaining 10 months is going to be exciting.


Scenic view on the way to work


Welcome to StarCite!


To remind us of our names after working for 18 hours straight


My cubicle


View of the city from the office after 6 pm

1 Comments:

  • Good to read about your work...it is quite quite different from my kind of exchange here!

    how did the auditions go? put up some photos from your church the next time =D

    Wangxing

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home